Sep 30

Border Crossings from Hong Kong to Shenzhen China

Visitors to Shenzhen from Hong Kong enter Lo Wu border station

Visitors to Shenzhen from Hong Kong enter Lo Wu border station


There are two major border points through which most travelers to Mainland China and Hong Kong cross the border. These are Lo Wu/Luohu station (Hong Kong and China names respectively for the same place) and Lok Ma Chau/Huanggang (Hong Kong and China names respectively for the same place).


On the Hong Kong side one is on the North End of the New Territories region and on the China side one is in the bustling city of Shenzhen China’s capital of fashion, shopping and production. Assuming one has the visa in order or the visa application if getting one at the border, (see if the possibility exists based on your citizenship). The crossing runs smoothly and is easily navigable with signs in various languages.


The Lo Wu/Luohu Crossing station is one of the most popular border crossings for all of China. There is lots of industry and commerce especially on the Shenzhen side, so one will find many locals and Hong Kong citizens crossing the border to shop and enjoy the well-established infrastructure. It seems as if something new is being updated all the time, a good sign of the healthy trade and ease of access. Lo Wu is connected directly to the East Rail line on the Hong Kong MTR, making it a smooth ride into Hong Kong Central and beyond. On the Shenzhen side the bus station and metro is right across the border so one can move around this city no problem. This border is not open 24 hours a day and that can be the only real inconvenience. Hours are from 06:30 till 24:00.


The Lok Ma Chau/Huanggang crossing point also sees a lot of traffic and is a pedestrian and vehicular crossing space. It is served as well by East rail line MTR trains on the Hong Kong side and Connected to buses and the Shenzhen Metro line 4 on the China side. This border crossing is open 24 hours and since it is for vehicles as well, most buses running from Shenzhen to Hong Kong central and airport utilize this crossing. When crossing in a shuttle van doors are simply slid open for a quick visual inspection while documents are verified. These are two of five crossings between Hong Kong and mainland China but they are by far the most popular, expedient and well served by public transit. Tourists can expect around 40 minutes for the whole immigration process to transpire outside of peak times.


For being one of the world’s busiest and more fascinating borders, it is quite an efficient and pleasant experience.




We are a group of avid and discerning travelers enjoying real life trips, quests and adventures. This is the place to come for everything one needs to know before traveling. Our website delivers a vast range of practical information related to traveling including travel tips, suggested itineraries and overall, practical travel knowledge.


Skip to comment form

  1. Rhestee L. Resurreccion

    I am travelling to Shenzhen China to attend a training in Huawei HQ on September 13, 2015 from Riyadh KSA via HongKong to Shenzhen .
    I am returning to HongKong on September 26 and stay up to September 29 and come back in Riyadh KSA on September 29 afternoon.
    I am holding a Philippines Passport, I am a Filipino, my question is there is any problem or I need to provide some document If wish to stay for 4 days
    in HongKong before my flight back to Riyadh KSA?

    Thanks a Lot.

    1. voyageur

      Hi Rhestee,

      Everything we have read online indicates Philippines Passport holders can stay visa free in Hong Kong up to 14 days. You may wish to confirm with your consulate or upon arrival to be sure as these policies can change.

      We will appreciate if you follow us in Facebook and in Twitter

  2. Len Gonzales

    We plan on travelling to Hong Kong again and this time will do a side trip to Windows of the World in Shenzhen, located at the Overseas Chinese town, Nanshan District.

    We are holding Philippine passports. Do we need to secure visa ahead of time? or can we just to there and get a Visa at the point of entry?

    1. voyageur

      Hi Len,

      from what we can read online you will need to apply for a Chinese visa in the Philippines. Of course it is always a good idea to call the consulate and confirm if and what kind of visa you will need for the trip. We will appreciate if you follow us in Facebook and in Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>